Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What's Bugging Me?

On my way to work this morning, I caught the first bit of Sheryl Underwood on the TJMS. I was excited because it had been a while since I've been able to catch her - I get to work earlier now most days. LOL! I love Sheryl and have so much respect for her but for those first few minutes today all I could think was "ohhhhh nooooooo."

I heard her talking about protests and Somalians and arrests, then all of a sudden I hear her say that Iman was talking bad about our First Lady Michelle Obama. Now, Iman has been somewhat of a hero to me since I was in my teens (quite some years ago) and Michelle Obama became one for me the more I learned about her before and since the election of President Obama. I have so much respect for both women that I just couldn't even imagine Iman having cause to speak against Mrs. Obama publicly.

From what I heard on the radio, I could only imagine that Michelle had said something about Somalians and what their fate should be that Iman apparently strongly disagreed with.

I get in my office, grab some coffee and water & then the search is on. Only takes a couple of seconds before I see where Iman has said that Michelle Obama was no "great beauty" but went on to say just how important what she has is.

Hell, is that what the talk was about? Mrs. Obama is not a "great beauty" in the sense that Iman meant. So what? I'm no "great beauty" either.

What a relief that it was just trifling media bs. I would bet that it wasn't that serious for either Iman or Michelle. Both very intelligent women beyond cattiness.

What's bugging me? The fact that so many others will take it and run with it. They won't stop and do their research and try to understand what really went down. We'll have emails going rampant and conversations about how Iman called Michelle ugly. Is it that we don't like the truth? Is it that the bs is just more exciting? If we can't focus on the trivial, then does that mean we have to pay attention to what's important & actually means something?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tahnee,

    James Meyers hipped me to your twitter & this blog. Good to see you again, even if only through this modern remove we call the internet. And speaking of the internet, I think it, in the hands of people like you will be the better part of the answer to oversensationalizing media like you wrote about above. I'm waiting for the 'no-middle-ground/nothing-bigger-than-a-sound-bite'
    media bubble to go the way of housing and credit.

    Best Regards,

    Pat Dalberg

    PS

    Please get on facebook. I found many folks we were at NTSU with on there, and a reunion is being planned for Aug. 1st in Dallas coordinated via fb. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete