Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Youssou N'Dour: I Bring What I Love

Doesn't happen often, but I have a new movie on my "must see" list. "Youssou N'Dour: I Bring What I Love". Love has to be the operative word that sums it all up for me. You can feel the love and the passion that Youssou brings with his music and that just can't be faked. A couple of times during the documentary men are brought to tears from the power of the performances. Now that's something - seeing a strong African man cry from love.

The documentary is centered around the release (and fallout) of Youssou's "Egypt" cd. The cd that finally won him a Grammy (after 4 nominations I think) was also the cd that made his own people in Senegal turn their backs on him. As the cd was celebrated in other countries, those who had even heard it in Senegal would not talk about it. Stores there would not sell it and curses went out towards Youssou.

"Egypt" was Youssou's way of singing about what he loved. He sang about his religion and its prophets. Unfortunately, he wasn't one of the chosen few allowed to sing about such.

What watching the problems that Youssou faced and his fight to support what he felt true to his heart, I thought of some of the church people I hear on a regular basis. They don't like the new gospel music. Why can't we just sing the old hymns? Fear of change is not of God but what so many "spiritual" people allow to make them forget what love is all about.

I think that there is something in this film for everyone whether it be the music, the cultural lessons, a chance to look in the mirror, or encouragement to keep on pushing for what you believe in.

Thank you Youssou for bringing what you love and sharing it with the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment