Monday, April 13, 2009

Sex

I'm putting together a Teen Summit for girls in the 6th-12th grades and our 3 main topics are Sex, Relationships, and Self-Esteem.

I truly believe that if the self-esteem is in place, the relationships with others will come together in a healthy way but sex seems to be a beast all of its own. Self-esteem plays an important role, but I don't think it plays the only role when it comes to physical desire and sensations.

I am not a virgin but I have a lot of respect for them and would love it if I could turn back the hands of time to when I was. I'd make a lot of different choices. I didn't have sex to make friends or find love or because of low self-esteem. I had sex because I enjoyed it and wanted it.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until I was in my 30s before I realized what a special thing it was to share. Without any doubt now I feel as if it's not something that should be shared so freely with just anyone but saved for that special someone. If they are demanding it or using it as a threat, they are not special.

Now I can't honestly say that I'm now saving it for marriage and will be celibate until then. I'm just saying that I'm going to be a lot pickier about who I do choose to share it with. There's such a great risk of disease out there that I'd hate to be left with one and thinking about how it came from someone I didn't respect or care about or truly know to begin with.

Hopefully I can help in keeping teens from following my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment