Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Listening Skills

How well do you listen? Do you only hear or do you truly listen?

This is a thought that comes to mind for me quite often because many will brag about what great listeners they are but as I'm listening to them, my truth seems to differ. I once heard Dr. Maya Angelou say that "People show you who they are. It's your job to believe them, the first time." This is one of the few quotes comitted to memory for me and I think it's one that could save a lot of drama, grief, and headache for us. On the other end of the spectrum, it might bring us blessings and joy that we could possibly miss out on in our unawareness.

A few friends used to get on me all the time for being "too picky" when it came to men. My argument was that within 10 mins (if that) a person has usually said something that gives me a clue as to who they are. Or better yet, said something that has thrown up a red flag that says there is no need to go down that path any further.

Listening incorporates more than words. Feelings and actions are also part of it in my opinion. I'm a natural spectator and I think God blessed me with the gifts of listening & hearing. I pray to never lose these gifts or have them fail me.

Have I been fooled before? Yes. Will it happen again? Possibly. Like everyone else, I'm not beyond making mistakes. I do try to not make the same one more than once though.

No comments:

Post a Comment